Swedish music festival cancels next year's event amid rape reports

Rebecca Barbier
Julho 3, 2017

A large-scale festival in Sweden has already chose to cancel its 2018 event amid reports of rape and sexual assaults on the grounds at this year's installment over the weekend.

The Bravalla Festival, which was attended by over 40,000 people in southern Sweden this year, has hosted big stars, including Kanye West, Robbie Williams and Iron Maiden, in the past.

One person was reportedly raped during Håkan Hellström's concert at Bråvalla.

Police have said that they have so far received 11 additional cases of sexual assault in relation to the festival, which took place over the weekend, despite organisers' claims they had worked to prevent such occurrences.

They also took to Twitter to share the news, and put up a press release on their website, which states, "Words can not describe how incredibly sad we are about this, and we most seriously regret and condemn this". "This is not f-ing okay". We do not accept this at our festival, ' a festival representative wrote.

Andy Murray is 'very happy' about becoming a father again
He would not be drawn on when the baby was due, but said his wife would be supporting him at Wimbledon over the next fortnight. Murray's woes have led to Roger Federer being installed as the bookies favourite to win Wimbledon for a record eighth time.

Bravalla festival took to social media to thank fans, while also lamenting (as translated by Facebook) "a frustrating, gloomy, strange, sad and rainy festival", adding in a separate announcement that "some men - because we are talking about men - apparently can't behave".

But the popular festival will not return in 2018 due to concerns over several cases of sexual assault, the organizing company FKP Scorpio said in a press release on Saturday.

As news of the incident hit the headlines, the company in charge of the festival, FKP Scorpio, issued a statement, denouncing the violence and announcing that the event was being canceled next year. Eleven other reports of sexual abuse were made during the event. He said "these are disgusting acts".

Although Bråvalla has chose to not move forward in 2018, the fight to combat sexual assaults won't stop: "We will continue to work together for a better world". Definitely not just festivals.

Outros relatórios LazerEsportes

Discuta este artigo

SIGA O NOSSO JORNAL