Turkey marks coup attempt anniversary

Oceane Deschanel
Julho 16, 2017

Some 250 people were killed and more than 2,000 injured across Turkey in the struggle.

A faction of the army tried to seize power from President Recep Tayyip Erdogan but the attempt collapsed.

Turkish authorities sacked almost 7,400 more civil servants for alleged links to terror groups as the country on Saturday marked the first anniversary of last summer's failed coup attempt that left some 250 people dead.

In his article, the president also stressed the importance of bringing Fetullah Gülen and his followers to justice, saying evidence proves they were behind the foiled coup.

Over the past year, Erdogan and his government have clamped down on civil liberties across Turkey, gutted public institutions and universities, heavily restricted the media and ordered mass arrests of activists, journalists and the political opposition.

It "isn't just important for Turkey but for democracy everywhere", Erdoğan said. "The treachery we face makes us stronger", he said, speaking at a bridge that was the scene of major clashes during the July 2016 violence.

People wave Turkish national flags as they stand near the "July 15 Martyrs Bridge" (Bosphorus Bridge) in Istanbul on July 15, 2017.

Serena Williams: I am really looking forward to coming back!
She is partnering with Tempur-Pedic, including appearing in TV ads, after using the company's mattresses for more than 10 years. The baby is due in the fall. "I've been really enjoying my time off and getting ready for this new massive chapter in my life".

Thousands are expected at "national unity marches" in the two cities, and speeches are planned in parliament and at an iconic Istanbul bridge.

Thousands of supporters of the President took to the streets to resist the attempted military coup exactly one year ago - 250 of them were killed. "Over the previous year, the judicial proceedings... moved outside the framework of the law", Kilicdaroglu, whose party will boycott commemoration ceremonies later in the day, told parliament. But Erdogan had already left and the coup attempt was put down by civilians and security forces. Gulen denies the allegations. Giant posters designed by the presidency have sprung up across billboards in Istanbul showing gaudy paintings that portray the key events of the coup night, including the surrender of the putschist soldiers.

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan - delivering a feisty and stirring message on the one-year anniversary of a failed coup aimed at unseating him - lauded the popular resistance that helped stop the brazen attempt against him and promised to decapitate "traitors", a sign that his harsh crackdown against his foes over the last 12 months will persist. The coup plotters bombed the country's parliament and other state buildings. The latest firings followed a June decree but were not announced until Friday.

A prolonged state of emergency in place since the coup attempt allows the government to rule through decrees.

In the article published Saturday on the first anniversary of the July 15 coup attempt, Erdoğan wrote that there is "no way to sugar-coat this betrayal of Turkey's friendship", adding that it is incompatible with bilateral relations and fundamental values alike.

NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg paid homage to those who lost lives resisting the coup and said attempts to undermine democracy in any one of the allied nations was "unacceptable".

Yildirim thanked the thousands who heeded a call by Erdogan to flood the streets to resist the coup.

Outros relatórios LazerEsportes

Discuta este artigo

SIGA O NOSSO JORNAL