Confrontation with North Korea not imminent

Patrice Gainsbourg
Agosto 14, 2017

'There's nothing imminent today, ' Pompeo told Chris Wallace on 'Fox News Sunday'.

Central Intelligence Agency director Mike Pompeo has offered assurances there is "nothing imminent" in the U.S. standoff with nuclear-armed North Korea, but said he will not be surprised if Pyongyang conducts another missile test.

"He conducted two in July so it wouldn't surprise me if there's another missile test", Mr Pompeo said. "[There is] no intelligence that would indicate we are in that place today". "They expand the envelope", he said.

Trump warned last week that North Korea would be met with "fire and fury" if it continued to threaten his country.

In a phone call with Mr Trump on Saturday, China's Xi Jinping urged both sides to avoid words or actions that could worsen the situation.

North Korea announced on Thursday plans to fire missiles near the US Pacific territory of Guam, even though there was no indication an attack is imminent.

Badgers to play Notre Dame at Lambeau Field in 2020
The two teams will then meet again the following year in 2021 - this time at Soldier Field in Chicago, home of the Bears. Wisconsin's Athletic Director Barry Alvarez, Notre Dame's Vice President Jack Swarbrick and Athletic Director James E.

"This administration has made our policy very clear".

"I am quite confident that [North Korean leader Kim Jong-un] will continue to try to develop his missile program, so it wouldn't surprise me if there was another missile test", Pompeo stated. "We've engaged the world to support that policy", Pompeo said, adding there will no longer be "strategic patience", the policy of former President Barack Obama, which centered on waiting for Pyongyang to return to denuclearization talks while increasing sanctions and pressure on the regime.

"He responds to adverse circumstances", he said. But they're also saying that the possibility of war with the reclusive Asian nation is greater than it was a decade ago.

In a separate interview on ABC News, Trump's national security adviser, H.R. McMaster, struck a similar tone.

"Our response is we are prepared militarily to deal with this if necessary. The increased chance that there will be a nuclear missile in Denver is a very serious threat".

U.S. Defense Secretary Jim Mattis said on Friday that any military solution to the North Korea crisis would be "tragic on an unbelievable scale" and Washington was working internationally to find a diplomatic solution.

Outros relatórios LazerEsportes

Discuta este artigo

SIGA O NOSSO JORNAL